Inspire therapy is an implant option for people with obstructive sleep apnea who are unable to use or get relief from continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP machine). The Inspire therapy obstructive device is controlled by a small handheld remote, which allows the patient to turn it on and off. While sleeping, the device monitors every breath that is taken by the patient. Based on breathing, the device sends a slight stimulation to the hypoglossal nerve, which controls the movement of the tongue and other crucial airway muscles. By stimulating these muscles, the airway stays open while sleeping.
Consequences of Untreated Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA)
- During sleep, OSA patients experience repetitive airway obstructions followed by oxygen desaturations
- Moderate to severe OSA patients can experience hundreds of obstructions and desaturations each night
The Inspire System
- Fully implanted system that uses well-established technologies and surgical techniques
- Breathing sensor monitors a patient’s breathing during sleep
- Generator delivers mild, rhythmic stimulation to the hypoglossal nerve via the stimulation cuff
- Upper airway muscle tone is restored, allowing the patient to breathe during sleep
At therapeutic titrated levels, Inspire therapy prevents the airway from collapsing to facilitate unobstructed breathing.
Stimulation Effect During Sleep
- Airflow and breathing stabilized
- Normal SaO2 levels restored
- Uninterrupted sleep continues without arousals
Features of the Inspire System
Inspire Sleep Remote
The Inspire system is controlled by the patient using the small handheld Inspire Sleep Remote. The Inspire Sleep Remote allows patients to turn therapy on and off and adjust therapy settings within a physician-defined range.
Inspire Model 3028
- MRI can be safely performed on the head and extremities provided that specific guidelines are followed
- Exceptional longevity of ~11 years
- Built-in daily therapy adherence monitoring
The Inspire Programmer allows physicians to monitor therapy adherence and battery life, as well as adjust therapy settings such as stimulation strength.