As the field of audiology rapidly advances, the significance of healthy hearing becomes more and more evident.
Scientists are gaining a deeper understanding of audiological medicine, that is, the underlying causes of hearing loss and the widespread effects hearing loss can have on your physical, mental, and emotional health. Help keep your ears protected and your hearing precise by following these tips for healthy hearing:
- Get your hearing professionally checked every few years if you’re under the age of 50 and annually if you’re over the age of 50.
- Invest in earplugs made from custom earmolds, which offer the best fit available for exceptional, individualized hearing protection.
- Keep a pair of earplugs in your purse, pocket. or car for situations in which you encounter unexpected loud noise.
- Always wear hearing protection when using noisy equipment, machinery, vehicles, firearms. or power tools.
- Buy appliances and vehicles with low decibel output whenever possible.
- Eat foods rich in folic acid, antioxidants, zinc, magnesium, vitamin D, and omega-3 fats, which have all been proven to promote hearing health.
- Always remain aware of the volume settings when enjoying auditory activities like listening to music, watching TV, and playing video games.
- Ask your employer for industry-standard ear protection — which is required by law in many noisy work environments — if you are frequently exposed to loud sounds.